Friday, July 25, 2014

Selfish with my Justice

When we understand God’s insane mercy and grace, we will be compelled to live them out in our own lives, meeting the needs of others in love. The Holy Spirit will grow fruits in us that enable us to act justly. But when we forget the generosity of God and the freeness of salvation, we will begin serving ourselves instead of others.

I'm a little behind on devos, it's a tough week, kid wise.  But I sat my bum down and decided to do nothing else until I communed with my Father for a while.

Today's devo hit me right between the eyes.  The author said, "We can start to live tightfisted, with insular lives, just living small and serving our own interests." Ugh! How true!!  My nose is sooooo close to the grindstone I rarely consider other people.  I think that insular living is a pitfall to fundamentalist families, as we try to keep ourselves and our children away from the World, we get to much of an 'us vs them' mentality and that is not the mind of Christ.

Our family was harshly attacked and judged when going through a terrible trial by our church family.  The trial, which perhaps I'll detail one day on this blog, was is so outside of what a 'typical' fundamentalist family encounters, that I believe the narrow view came from ignorance as opposed to unkindness.  In the end though, ignorance and unkindness are translated the same way: cruelty.  Or, as one of the Sunday School teachers taught attempted soul murder.  I'm still treating wounds alternated with being bitter about them.  Depends on the day.

But what I learned from it is how judgmental *I* am.  I saw a woman wearing pants to church and my thoughts were dismissive of them, for example.  So many times I made judgement about people and their walk with the Lord based on their appearance, perceived sin or actual sin.  How dare I do that?  When I have been forgiven so much, how dare I not extend that same measure of grace to others?  Now see, I thought I had... I was still kind and friendly while I internally tsk tsk'd.  sigh


As I finish up my devos, I have the Casting Crown song in my head "Courageous"  They sing Micah 6:8 Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly with your God...


Let’s not be women who forget. Let’s not take for granted God’s grace and mercy in our lives. Let’s remember that we were pardoned and accepted into the family of God. That goodness and sweetness is restoration, friends, and we should seek that restoration for others. ~SRT

No comments:

Post a Comment